Georgian Leinster House is the original house, built in 1745, which has been added to over the years to meet the needs of its various occupants. The actual footprint of the original House includes the Seanad Chamber and support areas, the Reading Room, the main lobby hall and corridor towards the Dáil stairwell, the Ceann Comhairle’s Office, the Cathaoirleach’s Office, the General Office and the Enquiries Office. The Dáil Chamber, the committee rooms and the Members’ offices are not affected by the conservation works.
Over the last 270 years there have been many changes to the occupancy of the House. The wear and tear on the fabric of the House has become evident. As well as essential structural strengthening of the building, the works include rewiring Leinster House to modern standards and upgrading fire resistance measures. The historic windows, shutters, joinery and stone work all need repairs. The original entrance door to Leinster lawn will be reinstated and the existing portico demolished.
Progress so far
Works commenced in 2017 and will be completed later this year.
Restoring a 270 year old house of this scale is a complex undertaking. The planning phase has been long, but it was important to thoroughly investigate every aspect of it before swinging hammers. Various specialists have conducted surveys of the entire building to ensure the works can be conducted safely. Given the importance of the work that normally takes place in Leinster House, the works have been scheduled to minimise disruption to Members of the Oireachtas, staff and the public.